Tuesday, September 01, 2009

This morning I went to the funeral of Jim Cooke, Freeman of the Borough and Honorary Alderman. I didn't know him personally, though I think I met him when I was a child. He and my father were active in the Boilermakers union and I sometimes went with my father to collect or drop off papers at other officials' houses. Jim Cooke had been a councillor in Stockton for many years, serving as mayor for a year and leading the council for several years. It was appropriate therefore that his funeral was something of a civic occasion. Councillors and council officers were led by the Mayor and Mayoress at a simple service in the Parish Church in Stockton High Street. I hope the family found some degree of comfort in the presence of councillors, council officers and ex-councillors.

No comments: