Monday, February 02, 2009

It's snowing!


This is the sight that greeted me when I opened the curtains this morning. I don't think I'll be rushing out! Fortunately I don't have any council meetings today so the only trip needed is for hospital visiting time this afternoon, followed by some much needed shopping.
There's a down side to every beautiful sight of course, and this one is the cost of gritting the roads. Stockton has already used more grit in December than for the previous 10 years or more. These variations can't easily be built into Council budget calculations but residents, understandably, expect us to keep the roads clear. I expect emails and calls today about places that haven't been gritted, mostly because they're not on primary gritting routes. Knowing that your street isn't a main thoroughfare doesn't make it any easier to get out to work on a morning though, and I can understand the frustration.
I hope the snow stops for long enough for the children to be able to enjoy building snowmen and making giant snowballs - that's what makes the travel difficulties worthwhile to me.

No comments: