Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Victorian Bush Fires

I've been following the news on these with a personal interest, having family living in Melbourne. I've visited one or two of the affected areas in the past but what can anyone from outside say? Thank God, the family is safe and although some of their friends have lost property or been too close for comfort none of them has lost life or limb.
Photographs convey some of the enormity of the problems. The local newspaper gives a flavour of the human stories. If you want to help the British Red Cross is working with its Australian counterpart on an appeal so please donate if you can. Maybe that's what we should encourage all those bank bosses to do- donate their huge bonus payments to help all those people around the world displaced from their homes by natural disasters or wars. That would put some sincerity into their apologies wouldn't it.

1 comment:

Cathy said...

I have been STUNNED by some usually greedy big businesses deciding to donate all their profits from a particular day's trading to the bushfire appeals...but I think I would faint if I actually heard that bank bosses were willing to give up their huge payouts!

I've just got around to blogging about the devastation myself. It's an absolute tragedy!