Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Nick Clegg - the radical

I couldn't believe I'd heard it the first time, but having listened twice and read it on news websites and seen it on TV news I now believe that Nick Clegg actually confronted the Trident question face on and didn't fudge. Two years after a cracking good debate at conference and a messy resolution we have a leader with the courage to say "I've changed my mind. Times have changed." Even if I didn't agree with him on saying we wouldn't support spending the money on a replacement missile I'd have to admire his courage in saying that he'd changed his mind.
I am, however, one of those people who cannot see a moral justification for using warheads which have an effect far beyond their immediate point of impact. At the age of 12 I wrote a passionate, carefully researched, essay on why nuclear war could never be justified and whilst I've changed my mind on many things since that age I still believe what I wrote then.
Now if only Brown & Cameron would change their minds on fair voting systems and on letting local government get on with local things ....................!
I fear the age of miracles isn't with us yet, though.

No comments: