Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Why is it that when you want someone to phone they don't and when you want a bit of peace and quiet the phone never stops? Not entirely true of course. Today we had a lovely long conversation with a daughter the other side of the world, sharing thoughts in a way that e-mails and letters don't allow. But I've also spent considerable time over the past few days trying to get hold of people to make arrangements, leaving messages, calling back and getting nowhere. Meanwhile I've fielded enquiries as to whether my Sky TV package is satisfactory (I don't have Sky TV); whether I'd like to change my car insurance company (certainly not to a company which calls me on a Sunday afternoon). Nor, while I'm chuntering, do I need any more broadband, central heating or other items on offer from random call centres around the world. I keep reminding myself that it's not the fault of the person on the other end of the phone - she or he is doing a job. But I could cheerfully strangle their bosses!
Today brought a bit of sanity with the monthly meeting of the Fairtrade Borough Partnership. A number of decisions made and some sharing of responsibilities for them. Couple that with sharing some good news from actions carried out over the past few months and the world seemed a better place already.

No comments: