Friday, June 25, 2010

Today Egglescliffe School and the community lost an inspirational teacher. Tony Gears who led and inspired the drama in the school for many years died. When our eldest daughter was a young pupil in the school he produced an amazing show - Johnny Faustus. Children who were never going to consider themselves as actors were inspired to join the cast and give of their best. The result was a show as professional as many that grace the stages of theatres in the region. All through our contact with the school his name kept cropping up - producing shows, encouraging bands, recording a song for charity, the list could go on. He will be missed, deeply, by the school and the wider community as well as by his family. But he'll also live on in the confidence which so many young people have as a result of being encouraged to take part, in the memories so many parents and ex-pupils have and in the careers of those youngsters who were encouraged to follow their dream.
RIP.

4 comments:

Connie B said...

I heard the news this morning from my son Dean Farnaby,a shocked and saddened former pupil of Egglescliffe School. Tony Gears was an inspiration to Dean and many other young people. He was in Tony's drama club and among other productions took part in 'Dracula Spectacular' one of the most entertaining theatre productions I have ever seen. Sincere condolances to his family and all who love, knew and respected Tony Gears - a sad loss indeed. Nichola & Dean Farnaby (former pupils) & mum Connie.

Anonymous said...

Tony Gears; was an inspirational man and one I looked up to and admired. He touched many peoples lives and will never be forgotten. RIP Tony.

thribble said...

Johnny Faustus was one of the best things I did at Egglescliffe. And as you say, something I would never have tried without Mr Gears.

Bob Hyde said...

I've only just found this, but I played Johnny Faustus under the wing of Mr Gears and it was still the best thing i've ever done. I'm in my final year of Uni & I still think about Tony nearly every single guy. Greatest teacher I ever had.