Saturday, March 07, 2009

Spring Conference

Am I the only Lib Dem Blogger not at Harrogate? It seemed that way when I glanced down Lib Dem blogs a few minutes ago. I'd have liked to have been there, especially as there's a focus on education this time, but circumstances prevented it.
The decision to continue our commitment to education being free at the point of delivery pleased me - it's one of the many things which is distinguishes us from the other two major parties. Clear blue water is widening, and I for one am happy with that situation.
I had an interesting experience when a resident commented on the star rating of Stockton vs other Tees Valley authorities - the first time I've known anyone outside the council show any interest. He commented on the fact that Stockton isn't deemed to be "improving strongly" this time but he was very happy when I said that our star rating might go down in the future because the council is considering whether ticking government boxes is the best use of tax-payers' money. Perhaps the money is better spent on delivering services which our residents really want. That particular resident registered his approval of the idea so I hope he's not unique.
I'm beginning to see the floor and other surfaces in the house today as the posters, leaflets and other things associated with Fairtrade Fortnight are being tidied away. I hadn't realised just how far they'd spread! But I wouldn't have had it any other way - the Go Bananas Event was worth every bit of mess it created.